Toby – Life with a new puppy

Formally known as Red Mallow Pepper – A Hungarian Vizsla

A Life in the Day of Toby (an 18 week old pup)

Posted by Admin on 27, April 2008

This is a typical day for Toby:


6:30 am

He does not bark, but give a little “yap” or whimpers.  I rush downstairs and let him out of his crate and we race for the door so he can go outside.  He then has a monumental wee and poos.  Jumps up and down and tries to bite me.  I say nothing and put him back in his crate and return upstairs.  He is as quiet as a mouse and goes back to sleep.  On the weekend, so do I :-).  He then is ready to get up at about 8ish.  If it is a school day then I go upstairs, get dressed, showered etc and shout at my 2 teenage daughters to get out of bed and ready for school.  Downstairs, breakfast prepared and girls pushed out the house in time for school bus.  At abut 8ish I then take Toby for his first walk of the day.  This takes about 30-40 mins.  Back  home for breakfast.

8 -9 am

I then tidy up the kitchen, vacuum all the leaves, plants, mud that Toby has bought into the house – fight with him for shoes, leads, mud etc and generally mess about.


Toby put in his crate and left alone to sleep

11:00 -12:00

Toby outside for toilet and then plays for a while with various toys as he charges around like a lunatic biting, jumping and racing about.

12:00 – 1:00

Toby has a longer walk of about 45 mins across fields, around the farm and generally behaves like a super star.  Home for lunch and more playing around

1:30 – 3:30

Sleep – in his crate (hopefully)

4:00 – 7:00

This is when alien Toby arrives in the house.  He turns into a complete lunatic.  Racing up and down from room to room and wants to be with me all the time.  If I sit down for any length of time to read or watch TV, he jumps all over me, will not sit down, fetchs different toys from his box and goes into total mental mode.  He can now reach all of the kitchen surfaces and spends most of his time on two legs with his front paws on the work surfaces, much shouting of OFF has no effect whatsoever 😦

I take him for a 30 min walk in the hope it will calm him down (it doesn’t) and he comes home and is still a total maniac.  This is compounded by girls arriving home from school at 5pm which winds him up further and then I start cooking followed by Husband arriving home at 6-6:30 (just as he is calming down and that sets him off again.  Put in his crate (against his wishes) at about 7pm and he promptly falls asleep 🙂

7:00 – 9:00

Sleeps in his crate (the door is open)


Desperate to come and watch TV and sit on my lap . Spend 20 minutes trying to force him to stay on the floor and not jump all over us, steal our slippers, try and get chococlate wrappers out of the bin (the girls ate them earlier, honest!). rushes about and will not sit still


Outside to go to toilet, give him a nibble and off to bed for the night – Do not hear another sound from him until6:30 next day and we start all over again!

 As you can see we operate on a 2 hour cycle roughly.  Regardless of variations to this plan (more exercise/less exercise), he is always totally mental at about 4pm – where am I going wrong? 

He is very funny to watch as he tries to run like a grown up and fails – he is all legs and not very elegant.  Also, when I put the lead on him he thinks this is a great game and tries to carry it in his mouth for the first 5 minutes of every walk.  He is most definately true to the breed and wants to be a Champion Velcro Vizsla 🙂 he would be top of that class!

I am sure some of this he will grow out of and he is the best Viz in the World


3 Responses to “A Life in the Day of Toby (an 18 week old pup)”

  1. Charlie said

    My day starts at 0615. I go walkies at 0700 for about 45 mins then I eat brekkie and pretty much sleep til lunchtime. I get another walk at lunch, which can be anything from 10mins to an hour – depends how busy mum is and what we’re doing later. If we only do a short walk I play a bit. If I’ve had a short walk I sleep again til about 1530, when I start to get a bit fractious and know my afternoon walk is due. If I’ve had a longer walk I’ll hold on til 6 when dad gets home. Then another hour plus of walk. Then I’m pretty much on the go until they eat dinner, when I go to my bed like a good boy. Then eat a frozen Kong whilst they watch telly and end up sleeping at about 9pm. I get put to bed by about 1030 at the latest (after a wee stop!).

    So I guess I have my lively spells too – particularly from when dad gets home til dinner time. Trouble with doing more walkies to tire us out is you end up ‘training an athlete’ who is just even more fit and full of fun 🙂 Mental games are good – i love my iqube (from – search for iqube). Also Kong stuffaballs ( with chunks of cheese in them or frozen stuffed with corned beef and frozen! My evening frozen kong is a regular kong with a few bits of dried liver and bics in it, then topped up with bovril and frozen for a few hours. The end is plugged with peanut butter so that the bovril doesn’t run out!

  2. Sounds like Toby needs more socialization and some buddies to play with as well as mental games. The food-cube is great. We usually toss in a few treats mixed with kibble to enhance the smell. Rocket will occupy himself for 30 minutes.

    Running around the house with a case of the zoomies is typical stuff. Maybe try less naps during the day and/or attach him to you with a leash so he has to follow you around the house (asserting yourself as pack leader), thus keeping him awake and tiring him out. While he’s attached to you keep treats in your pocket and give him simple commands sit/stay/come/down. The continuous mental work should help.

  3. Renee Hood said

    Do your husband and daughters come in and make a big (or even a little) fuss – coming over to him within 60 seconds of being home to pet or talk to him? Do they greet him before hugging / talking to you? Do they talk to or pet him (even if to say “no”) before he is calm (sitting and not wiggling)? Dogs (Vizslas especially) love the sound of human voices and physical touch, even if being told “no” or being removed from the couch. They will repeat the behavior if they recieve attention, regardless of whether you intend the behavior to be a reward or reprimand.

    Laila did this the first few weeks, and our vet told us it was a sort of separation anxiety that needed to be broken.

    It sounds like Toby understands the routine to be: my people are coming home soon, so I’m super excited and crazy! Make sure to keep him in the crate (with the door closed) when new bodies come into the house, and do not let him out for at least 5 minutes (vary the time, so he doesn’t get used to it). You should greet the new bodies, making sure he hears you doing so (reinforce pack order). Then, let him out of the crate and YOU take him outside to use the bathroom after they have come home – do not let him go to them, and do not let them make eye contact or say anything. If Toby goes to them, they must ignore him, stand up and turn their back to him, while you call him. Once outside, look at Toby or and command him to “pee” – then look up and break eye contact (don’t say anything else, not even “no”). If he jumps on you, step back and turn your back to him, saying “pee” again. Once he pees, make him sit, praise him, and take him back inside. Don’t let all of the new bodies greet him together – make them take turns one at a time. Have them make Toby sit first and them pet him and say “good boy” (only if all four paws are on the ground), but not to make a big deal about it.

    When he masters this, let him out of the crate when they come to the door, but take him immediately outside before he can greet the new people and repeat the above process. Eventually, he will realize that you (and the new people) are in charge, and he will not act so disrespectful of you.

    If “no” is loosing effectiveness, saying “Ah-Ah” in an assertive voice, shaking a can of marbles, or spraying a light stream of water seems to work best.

    Good luck! The first few months are the worst – especially the teenage years where they act deaf, dumb, and blind when you tell them to do something.

    Laila’s mom, Renee

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: